Friday, February 13, 2015

Rheumatology Visit #1

Well I'm not really sure how to summarize today's doctor's visit. First things first, I am SO thankful we were able to get in to see a pediatric rheumatologist so quickly. Secondly, I really liked her. She took a lot of time to listen to Ryker's full history, do a thorough exam, and answer ALL of my questions. She is definitely concerned about the swelling in Ryker's right knee and how it is affecting his mobility. She also thinks he might have swelling in his right ankle and some of his fingers. She is hopeful that this could simply be a strange post-viral reaction but she is skeptical that it might be Juvenile Arthritis. I have to admit that as a pediatric nurse and someone who has quite a bit of personal experience with autoimmune disease, I do not know much about this diagnosis. I'm really trying not to get ahead of myself though. She put him on meloxicam (Mobic) which is a different anti-inflammatory to try instead of the Naprosyn. She wants us to give him that for 4 weeks and see if he improves. We will see her again on March 18. In the meantime she wants him to see an ophthalmologist to make sure he doesn't have uveitis which is inflammation in his eye; some types of Juvenile Arthritis cause this condition and she would rather be safe than sorry. So the waiting begins...

*Update: Ryker saw the ophthalmologist on February 20 and everything looked fine. Hallelujah!*

No comments:

Post a Comment