For a couple weeks now, Ryker has been having trouble walking.... He refuses to go up or down the stairs and won't even step off the little ledge in the garage. At first I thought he was just being a cranky two-year-old, but then he started having stiff legs in the mornings and when he would wake up from nap. Then I thought.... maybe it's just growing pains. As a pediatric nurse who worked with crazy neurological diseases, I try really hard not to overreact to things with my own kid.
Well... today I lost that battle.
Ryker got up this morning and could barely walk. Even after an hour and a half, when I took him to Mother's Day Out, he was still having trouble. I wasn't sure what to think! Maybe he just slept wrong? had outgrown his shoes? needed his toenails cut? It wasn't until he got to school and his teacher took him to the potty that I (and everyone else) knew something was seriously wrong. Both of his knees were the size of oranges! Now let me remind you that my child is only two years old and, although he has always looked a little like the Michelin man, his knees have never been (nor should they ever be) that big!
I FREAKED.
I mean... who wouldn't? More than anything else I felt an extreme amount of guilt. His trouble walking has been going on for a while now and it appears there is a legitimate reason behind it! I immediately called the pediatrician and got an appointment for this afternoon. After seeing the nurse practitioner and getting labs drawn, we started him on Motrin every 6 hours around the clock.... we even have to wake him up at night and give it to him. We are waiting on lab results and further instructions....
No comments:
Post a Comment